Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Gene Tierney - The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

I fell in love with Gene Tierney tonight.  Though I may have seen her in movies before I never really paid attention to the actors in movies during my youth.  Aside from her beauty she was an unbelievably talented actress.  This movie I picked up today from the library is one I didn't know about.  I watched the TV series so I was familiar with the story, but this is an amazing original production.  Rex Harrison of course played his part as the Captain, the ghost, as well as it could be done.  But the star of the movie is Gene Tierney.

Reading her biography I learned that she passed away in 1991 at the age of 70.  She had a difficult later life that had her troubled with mental illness and it's hard to imagine her so unhappy.  It's a sad element of life that with all her talent that she had to struggle through the remainder of her life.

Tonight though, I have to say just watching her play this part is a reminder that such beauty is ephemeral and therefore even more precious.  Her voice, her mannerisms, and perfect way of displaying emotions on screen justify her leading actress power during her time.

One of her quotes "Wealth, beauty, and fame are transient. When those are gone, little is left except the need to be useful."

If you want to see a hidden treasure of a movie consider spending an evening with this old black in white from 1947.

And rest in Peace to all the actors in that movie who have passed away for I suppose that none are alive now except possibly the children.

It has a beautiful ending.







No comments: