Friday, May 25, 2018

Is an English Degree Worthless?

Joe Bob - English Major Confesses

Joe Bob has a point and it is that you had better really like English and Literature if you take that course of study because the marketability of it is doubtful in this day and time.  You may end up in some writing profession or you might end up cleaning houses or serving coffee as a Barista.  Then of course there is always the gig economy where you'll be driving people around in your car for $10 and hour. 

I already had a profession if you want to call it that so for me it was simply do I want to new profession at my late age or should I enroll in something I enjoyed.  I chose enjoyment and though I haven't regretted it I do realize that the limitations of an English degree has a lot to do with the perceptions of the people doing the hiring.  So if you take the route of English your best bet is going to be self-employment whether it is in the English teaching or writing realm or you could end up having to take specific training to become fully employable.


No comments: