Tuesday, May 15, 2018

In Remembrance Tom Wolfe

NYT on Tom Wolfe

I've loved his work since introduced to it in a literature class though I actually ran across it before that and never made the connection.  The Bonfire of the Vanities became a favorite movie for me because Hanks, Willis, Griffith, and Weaver are in it and of course the story is great.

Later, coming across all of his work I made an effort or should I say an education of reading everything he wrote.   When new books came out I'd read them and felt I understood his intent and learned something. 

The NYT article covers almost everything that can be said except maybe that even us lowly readers and not just the critics or major artists found his work exceptional.  Part of what made it so enjoyable is how it skewed so many of the pretentious and opened bare the truth through story and description that has limited much fiction now.

It's a sad day to know that an artist of such talent has left the stage.

Tom Wolfe, RIP 




No comments: