Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Review - The Art of Slow Writing Reflections on time, Craft, and Creativity - By Louise DeSalvo

Book Review - by Brent Herrick

The Art of Slow Writing  Reflections on time, Craft, and Creativity - By Louise DeSalvo

I’ll have to place this as one of the best books for an aspiring writer to get past the mental hurdles of completing a work.  I found myself already using some of the methods she described but hadn’t been given proof that it was a viable approach. Learning that other successful writers use these methods is a confirmation that these are justified.   But I only used a few of these and the list of ways to get through a project to completion is extensive in this excellent manual for writing. 

As the title describes there is an art to slow writing and just knowing that an expert  gives you permission to take your time in whatever manner needed to get it done. The worst thing to do is to give up.  Find a way if you’re at a logjam and DeSalvo gives you many methods to do so.  

The author also proves to you through her research that these aren’t all  just her methods but rather the approach taken by some of the most successful and prominent writers ever.  It helps to know that these are tried, true, and often used techniques to get the job done. As a writing teacher the author has honed the skills down to a precise collection of workable techniques to get through or around the obstacles to completing a work.

I now have to buy a copy of this book since I found one at the library but will have to add it to my writing reference collection and reread it often.

More than that, I now have to explore her other works since I have often found that if a writer has one good book out there that you’ve found you need to see what else they’ve done.  It’s often a wellspring of great reading.

I’d like to make this a longer and more complete review but the motivation to get to work on some of my longstanding projects pulls me away to get back to it.  So not only is this book a great information resource but I would now classify it as a motivational tool. 

***** Five Stars
Excellent 



No comments: